What is Magnesium Nitride
What is Magnesium Nitride?
Magnesium nitride, is an inorganic compound that has the chemical formula Mg3N2. It is part of the quantum system of cubic crystals. At temperatures of room temperature, the pure magnesium nutridide is yellow-green and magnesium nitride which contains part of magnesium oxide impurities appears grayish white.
The Molar mass of magnesium nitride is 100.95g/mol. Their density stands at 2.712g/cm3. Magnesium Nitride is completely dissolvable in acid and water, but partially dissolved in alcohol and ether.
The melting temperature of magnesium nitride is 1500 °. Magnesium, like other metal nitrides, reacts water and produces ammonia. Commonly used as a catalyst. React with acid , or aqueous nonmetallic oxides in order to produce ammonium salts as well as magnesium salts.
Magnesium Nitride is a natural ceramic nature. Magnesium Nitride has a high corrosion resistance and greatly increases productivity. Magnesium nitride also has high thermal conductivity, as well having a high resistance to corrosion and resistance to temperature. Magnesium nitride also has a great importance as it's utilized as a catalyst for synthesizing of boron.
What Is Magnesium-Nitride Used For?
1. As a catalyst, it is used to preparation of nitride compounds from other elements with high hardness, high thermal conductivity, wear resistance, corrosion resistance, and extreme temperature resistance. The first successful formula for cubic boron, the catalyst was magnesium Nitride.
2. This is a high strength steel smelting additives. Magnesium Nitride (Mg3N2) is a substitute for the magnesium that has been desulphurized for construction smelting, which is beneficial to increase the density strength tension, and bearing force of steel. In addition, using of magnesium Nitride (Mg3N2) desulfurizationcould reduce the use of other additives, which can help lower the cost of manufacturing construction steel.
3. This is used to make special ceramic materials;
4. For the manufacture of special alloy foaming agent
5. For manufacturing special glass;
6. To crosslink catalytically-linked polymers.
7. To recycle nuclear waste
How to Produce Magnesium Nitride?
At present, the main methods for making magnesium nitride are direct reactions method of magnesium powder with nitrogen, method of reaction of magnesium and nitrogen in nitrogen plasma flow, magnesium coil explosion method in nitrogen atmosphere as well as low-pressure chemical gas supplementing method for product, self-propagating high temperature synthesis technique, nano magnesium nitride synthesizer, etc.
Recently, G. Soto et al. made amorphous magnesium oxide films with different Mg:N ratios on Si substrates in a nitrogen-based molecular environment using an application of pulsed lasers. These techniques restrict their industrial production due to costly costs, long processing complicated equipment operation or a lower yield of magnesium nutride.
Although the direct reaction of magnesium powder in nitrogen has industrial value, the production of magnesium nitride powder requires more reaction temperatures and a longer reaction time. Furthermore, the form of the particles isn't perfect and easy to agglomerate which isn't able to meet demands of industrial quality. In the case of NH3, it can be broken down into N- with broken bonds more easily than N2, and decomposed H2 may block the formation of MgO. So, ammonia is a suitable nitrogen source. Chen Faqin et al. used liquid ammonia as nitrogen source to prepare magnesium nitride via direct nutriding of magnesium. The following conclusions can be drawn: From a thermodynamic analysis, liquid amonia could react with magnesium powder much more quickly than nitrogen and produce magnesium nitride; High quality magnesium nitride powder that has the highest purity and uniform particles can easily be prepared at 600 and an ammonia atmosphere for 1 hour. It is then heated up to 800°C, with an ammonia flow rate is 500ml/min. the nitriding process takes 1 hour.
Magnesium Nitride Mg3N2 Powder Provider
We are a reputable world-wide chemical material provider and manufacturer with more than 12 years of experience in providing top-quality chemicals and nanomaterials. Examples include silicon, nitride powder, graphite powders, zinc sulfur calcium nitride 3D printing powder and more.
If you are looking for high-quality Mg3N2 powder Please feel free to reach us via email and submit an inquiry. (email@example.com)